Flea Market Flowers

Monday, May 16, 2011

The Shoe Hunt

I'm on the hunt for shoes. And the hunt sucks.


I'm not looking for just any old shoes, mind you. I would like a pair that I can slip on easily to walk the dog, whether our walk takes us down to the beach or into the hiking trails at the park or just around the block. I want them to be lighter than sneakers and just slip on.

Also, they have to be inexpensive because I'm cheap and tend to not really care a lot about shoes.

I found a pair on DSW.com and they were on sale plus I had a $10 coupon. They're these guys:



I had high hopes: someone left a review saying she purchased them specifically to slip on and walk her dog. The bottoms are sneaker-like and the top is boat shoe-like. Nice combo.

So they got here on Friday and I wore them around the house, loving how they looked and felt. But then I wore them around the block on a short walk and came home with my right heel all cut up. Thanks, Keds.


I can't return them now that I've worn them (and bled in them... ew) so I've got two choices: toss them in the back of my closet and stew for a few days over the waste of money, or find something to slap over the heel of the right shoe to protect my delicate flower foot.

Or keep looking for another pair of shoes and get over it.

I think for starters I'm going to try and salvage this pair (again, because I'm cheap). But if that doesn't work, does anyone have a suggestion for a shoe that might trump these? Remember: inexpensive, slip-on, durable, good for trail, beach and street walking. My husband suggested mole skin for the heel, but I've tried that before on other shoes and it has never worked that well for me. He also suggested a pair of Vibrams since he has a pair and loves them:

Maybe. But I'm not sure I want to spend $85+ on dog-walking shoes.

I've also considered these L.L.Bean slip on Mary Janes:
They're $45, which I suppose isn't that bad, but now that I've already got the heel-wreckers over here, I don't know if I can justify buying another pair of shoes.

This is why I stick to $10 Target flats most of the time. Less complicated.
Any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. So I stink at dressing myself, but I do know a thing or two about comfortable shoes.

    I have a pair of Merrell Mary Janes that I've loved in all seasons - I wear them with socks in the winter and without in the summer. They're so comfortable but, like the Vibrams, they weren't cheap. The questions you want to ask yourself are this: Are you willing to stick with the same pair of "take the dog out shoes" for several years? Do you want something you can also wear, say, to the store? If you answer "yes" to both of these I would shell out a little extra for a shoe from a company that specializes in comfort, like LLBean or Merrell, etc. I'd skip the Vibrams...they're cute, and I was oh so tempted for a while, but really, where else are you going to wear them?

    ReplyDelete

Comments = love. You know it's true!