Flea Market Flowers

Monday, April 18, 2011

Flop It Out, Girlfriend

Yesterday a friend texted me. She had gone shopping for an upcoming trip to Jamaica and bought a floppy hat (for $13, no less! Go her!) Anyway, she said she thought of me when she bought said floppy hat because last summer we were on the hunt for the perfect one for me to take on my honeymoon.

Here we are in Bar Harbor, Maine, floppy hat and camera  ready to go.
Well now it appears that the flops are everywhere!

I had a hard time finding one last summer believe it or not, and ended up getting one at J.Crew. As much as I love J.Crew's stuff, it's definitely not a place I shop often. Too expensive. Although I love finding J.Crew pieces at secondhand stores. Score.


In honor of the floppy hat, I'd like to share a few reasons why I love mine so much and can't wait for it to get really warm out so I can wear it. Spring in New England just isn't conducive to floppy hat wearing.


1. Floppy hats are classic. This is one reason I love my hat and also the reason I was so surprised that it was hard to find a good one last year. It seems like the quintessential summer staple, especially if you're going to spend time in a sunny place. And really, don't a lot of people do that in the summer?
2. Floppy hats are kind of glamorous. Ok, not kind of. They're really glamorous. And for a person like me who doesn't shoot for glamour on a daily basis (give me jeans, a cute t-shirt and a great cardigan and I'm happy), this hat was a small way for me to feel a little fancy on our honeymoon.
3. Floppy hats are actually very practical, too. Wear it gardening, on a walk to the park, at the beach, on a sailboat, sitting outside in the backyard reading a book.... doesn't matter, it actually serves a purpose. I don't like a sunburned nose, and I know you probably don't either. Hooray for sun protection that isn't in the form of weird and questionable chemicals!
4. Floppy hats look good on everyone. Let me tell you something: I look stupid in hats 99% of the time. I don't know why. I just wasn't born a hat-person. Even my mother agrees, and you know if your mom is telling you something looks weird on you, she's being honest. Not so with the floppy, though. Do you know how happy I was to find a hat that actually looked good on me? And I firmly believe that they can look good on anyone. Sometimes it's a matter of finding the right one (material, color, brim-size, etc), but if you want to flop it out this summer, start hunting. There are plenty of floppy options out there this year!

Sporting my new floppy find last summer on Cape Cod.

Do you like floppy hats? Or are you hat-a-phobic like I was? Tell me in the comments. 

3 comments:

  1. Your hat is so nice! I would love to wear hats, it would be also practical as I burn easily from my head :P but the thing is, all hats are too big for me.. yes, weirdly, even the smallest womens hat is too big for me. One woman from Benetton said I could go to the kid's store, didn't enter that store again! ;) so I'm still hunting for the percet floppy hat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Kristen. LOVE YOUR HAT. I'm so excited I found your blog. I'm a new follower, I hope you will as well. I started my blog a little over a month ago. It's all about celebrity fashion from the point of view of an LA stylist. Stop by to see multiple post a day on all the latest celebrity fashion news and check out pictures from the fall/winter preview I attended yesterday in Beverly Hills. Would love your support. xoxo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. i LOVE all hats. floppy or otherwise.

    i found your site on the style bloggers map. we live pretty close to each other. we're in providence. check out our blog too!

    www.blouseshoppe.com

    neat to connect with people that are close!

    xo~jane

    ReplyDelete

Comments = love. You know it's true!