Flea Market Flowers

Friday, March 11, 2011

Japan

This was supposed to be a post about thrifting, but it will have to wait until tomorrow.

All morning I've been thinking about the earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan. I feel terrible for the victims. I woke up at 2 am and couldn't fall back to sleep, so I read some news on my cell phone and found out about Japan. It took me 2 more hours to go to sleep, and when I finally did I had the most horrifying nightmare about the world ending. There was water, there was fire, and the ground opened up and swallowed everyone whole. I remember knowing in the dream that I had died and knowing it wouldn't hurt for long, but I still remained present in the dream and watched the world... basically self-destruct.

The point is, I can't even begin to imagine what the people in Japan are going through; it must feel like the end of the world for them. I woke up from that dream crying, which woke up my husband, and all I could think was how can something like this happen in real life to real people?


For Lent I have given up negative thought patterns and skewed perspectives. Meaning that when I start to feel sorry for myself or complain about things that are really not a big deal, I shut the thought down immediately and focus on something that I can be grateful for. It's working really well so far, but it's hard policing my thoughts. It's making my extremely conscious of how I think and how I relate to the world around me. If nothing else, this disaster has really put things in perspective for me: I am alive today, I didn't suffer a natural disaster that wiped out the world I know, all of my friends and family members are safe, my house is still standing, my yard is not flooded, my life has not been decimated and brutalized.

If you do nothing else today, think about the people of Japan and then think about your life. Think of every complaint you had today, every moment you spent feeling bad about yourself or being angry at a circumstance in your life that doesn't seem fair. Maybe they're really big problems like death or disease or a disaster. Maybe they're not. Either way, remind yourself what you're grateful for. In the wake of something like this, it's quite easy to pin point all of the blessings in your own life.

Peace and love.

4 comments:

  1. I feel so bad what happend in Japan, it's awful disaster. I have one friend in Japan, no contact yet.. I am reminding myself how lucky we are to live everyday without problems, I have been stressing lately for small problems, when thinking what other people are going through, my problems are nothing. I still wish you good weekend!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything that's going on at the moment just breaks my heart! I've been on sick leave for couple of days and whining about the little things... something so meaningless compared to what everyone whose impacted by this are going through. My prayers go to these people!

    xxx mervi

    Ps. We're having a blog design giveaway in our blog! I'm slowly starting to build my design portfolio and a blog design will make a nice addition. I know this sounds so vein to mention this here, but I thought I'd let you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sini

    I hope you hear from your friend soon! I have a family friend in the Marines in Japan and a friend in the Army stationed in Hawaii and thankfully they're both safe and sound. But man, I still can't wrap my brain around what happened over there.

    Have a good weekend too, Sini!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @my best friend jules
    I saw that on your blog, Mervi! I'm definitely going to enter. I would LOVE to have you do a blog design for my blog!! Thanks for reminding me :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments = love. You know it's true!