Flea Market Flowers

Saturday, March 12, 2011

How To Thrift Shop Like A Boss

It was my birthday, so we took a family shot. (The dog is acting like a teenager lately!)

On my birthday this past Thursday I took myself thrift shopping.

Well, first I finished part of a freelance project and did the first assignment for a magazine writing class I'm taking, but after that I went thrifting.

I allowed myself $50 of birthday money to spend at the maximum. I got a later start than planned, so instead of going to 4 local shops, I went to the 2 closest ones.

Turns out I didn't even need to go to the second one because the first shop was such a goldmine (the second store was overpriced and too tidy for me). It's called Never Enough and when I walked in I felt like I was entering a huge, fabulous closet. The place is jam packed with clothes, shoes, bags, jewelry, belts, scarves. I had to dig, look up, look below, opened drawers, kneel down. That's my kind of bargain hunting. I have to be in the right mood for it, but I really love searching for gems, and after walking away with some awesome loot, I came up with a few tips to help your next thrifting adventure be a total success.

But first, don't you want to see the goods? For $42.62 (under budget!) I walked away with TWO Anne Taylor Loft jackets (3/4 sleeves and lightweight-- perfect for spring and layering), a Michael Kors top in my most favorite coral color, a gray top that I debated getting and ultimately fell for, and a really cute, dirt cheap J. Crew menswear-inspired belt.

I'm not a fan of labels, but if I can get great-fitting, good quality clothing at really low prices, I'm in. No questions asked. I only mention the designers so you can grasp how incredibly awesome this excursion was.

Here's what I snagged:
First of all, this is how the lady bagged my purchase. Very cute.




This top is adorable and comfy-- score!


Here's one Anne Taylor Loft jacket

I really love this jacket. It gets kisses.

This is the second Anne Taylor Loft jacket, and I did a happy dance in the dressing room when I put it on.

I should rotate this, but maybe you'll just tilt your head?



Sorry about my sideways pictures, but I had to show you the red polka dot  part on the inside. Cute!

My husband got me the best cards and gifts! He got my a new bead for my bracelet, Origins face wash to replace my organic wash that ran out, and a book on organic gardening. So perfect!



Tips for thrifing like a boss:
  • Ask about their discount system. Most stores offer a percentage off the ticket price if an item is in the store beyond a certain amount of time. This will help you hunt for the best bargains.
  • Know what you're looking for. Thrifting can be overwhelming, but if you go in with a game plan or even a general idea of what you're looking for, it can really help you search efficiently.
  • Be open-minded. If you're drawn to something, try it on. You never know!
  • Only buy what you love. Even if it's cheap, you shouldn't buy something if you don't love it. Buy pieces that will be assets to your wardrobe and that you'll be excited to put on.
  • Inspect your items before you buy. Make sure the seams are holding up well, buttons aren't missing, it isn't pilling or fraying. Just use your judgement and really give everything a good look-over. It may be second-hand, but you don't want it to look like it is!
  • Have fun. Approach thrifting like a small adventure, because it really is. It's not your typical shopping experience and you may come away with some great bargains.
Happy hunting!














6 comments:

  1. Thrifting like a boss... I love it! I'm a huge thrifter myself and know exactly what you mean when you say a place is too tidy for your liking. I'm the same way. If I don't have to jump over a few piles of accessories or trip over some shoes tossed across the floor it just doesn't feel right.

    What great deals for your purchases! I can't believe you got all of that for under $50!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @thedemuremuse.com
    I totally agree! A thrift shop should feel like a huge closet and I should have to hunt for the perfect pieces. The other store was too boutique-y and organized. There was no thrill. I could see everything and there were no hidden gems anywhere. Messy makes me happy haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love good thrift days!!! That blazer is ADORABLE! :) Fun fun fun! So glad I found your sweet blog:) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds great, you found nice things! I'm not even sure what thrifting means, is it like second hand shopping? :D I wish we would have shops like that here too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Renee B.
    I'm so glad you found my blog, too! I'll have to check yours out :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Sini
    Hey Sini! Yup, thrifting is just shopping at a secondhand shop. I consider it thrifting if I'm at a consignment shop or Savers... in either case, the stuff has had a previous owner and it's deeply discounted. Where do you live? I bet you'd be surprised if you did a search for local consignment shops. They're popping up everywhere it seems!

    ReplyDelete

Comments = love. You know it's true!